As you have noticed we have started remodeling in the sanctuary area. Phase one consists of washing down everything to remove the candle soot, fox the plaster and banner damage, and then repainting the walls, banner and stencils. Also a new gold colored accent will be applied when needed
One of the most noticed changes is the lighting system. The old yellowish or warm white bulbs were 150 watt incandescent bulbs. They produced enough heat to cause burns of touched. Also, to replace them required someone going up a 25 foot ladder or erect scaffolding. There were 32 of these 150 watt bulbs requiring a total of 4800 watts of energy. Their lifespan was 18-24 months.
The 150 watt incandescent bulbs are being replaced with cool white LED flood lights that are only 24 watt each. These LED’S do not get hot and are not affected by turning them off and on and as you can see give a much brighter light that brings out the color of the Church, especially the mosiacs. Even the dirty white marble looks better. These LED bulbs are more expensive buy should last from 6-8 years. Also, the 32 ED bulbs uses only768 watta of power; verses 4800 watts for the old bulbs.
Thus they will pay for themselves by lasting longer and lowering the electric bill.
The only things the old bulbs did was hide the plaster cracks and damage except the worst areas such as over the window of Judith The yellowish light also hid the candle soot that covered everything the mosaics and marble. The water leads did a number on the plaster., decals and banner. From the floor much of the upper damage could not be seen. But eventually it would be very noticeable. We waited two years to make sure we got the leaks fixed. In some areas, such as above the window of Judith, the leaks lasted so long that the plaster had turned to dust. All that will have to be removed back to the wooden stats or wire and be replaced with new plaster.
A lot of the damage to the banner couldn’t be seen until you climbed up the scaffolding. When you looked up from the floor, much of the damage couldn’t be seen. However, large areas of the banners were starting to crack and peel . It would have become very noticeable within a hew years..the white lines in the banner on the baptismal side where the plaster cracks that were fixed. Then the banner and its letters had to be repainted. Tedious and time consuming work. So far two sections of the banner have been done; ‘QUAM DILECTA” AND “TABERNACULA.” The whole banner around the sanctuary means: “How lovely your tabernacles, O Lord of Hosts! My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the Lord.”
Phase two will be the sanctuary carpet. When we finish phase one, we will begin to get estimates and then budget the carpet.
Phase Three will be to get the marble professionally cleaned and restored.
Thank you for your support in restoring St. Lucy’s Church!
Over the past summer we've added a few things. New roof on the Garage, Air Conditioning and Flooring in the basement. Many thanks to all Parish members and friends of St. Lucy's, who without your help this would not have been possible.